August 2000

The magazine was launched in 1901 as a journal devoted to architecture, and its founding editors were Herbert C. Wise, Wilson Eyre, and Frank Miles Day, all Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, architects. The magazine became part of Cond√© Montrose Nast’s publishing empire when he bought an interest in it in 1911; he became its sole owner in 1915. Nast transformed it into a magazine about interior design, as part of his trend toward specialized publications aimed at niche markets.